Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Palatal Expander


Casey 1-12-09 1st day with Palatal Expander

1-12-09 Caseys Palatal Expander


1-12-09 Palatal Expander~Casey


1-12-09 Wanted to get a "starting picture"




12-29-08 1st set of separators (they're blue) (above & below pic)



In November the boys each had appointments with the dentist (yay!). I already knew what the outcome would be-for Darik...fillings (he takes weekends off from brushing-I don't know why.) Casey-I wasn't sure-he's always had pretty good teeth and has taken care of them. However, I knew at some point he would need to go on to an Orthodontist. We had changed dentists and found a great one in Lincoln whom both boys really like. He told the boys that they both needed sealants and that Darik would need to come back for "some work" 3 fillings. He told Casey that he would need to see an Orthodontist (which I had figured) that he has a severe crossbite and much crowding-he would need a palatal expander. They gave me a few suggestions of Orthodontists said that any would be happy to have us for a "consultation" (of course!) So, I had to make a few phone calls. I talked to my friend Sondra (her daughter goes to an Orthodontist in Lincoln and she has an expander)-to see who she took her to, I talked to people at work-who went to offices in Omaha (I don't think so), I spoke to Dariks friends parents who take their kids to different Orthodontists in Lincoln- *sigh* I HATE decisions. So. I started searching. I called the offices, spoke with the receptionists (to get the "feel" and "personality" of the office, talked to each office about their billing policies (for insurance), looked up each office and each Dr. online. *sigh* Made 2 consultation appts. I only had a "good and comfortable" feeling about 1-but I made 2...for back up. I hate to be unprepared. I had talked to Casey all during this and he gave me his input and told me where he would like to go-which was an important part of the decision. I mean...it's his mouth. AND, he wanted it done "as soon as possible." So on December 9, we went for the consultation appointment with Dr. Paula Harre-Harre Orthodontics, in Lincoln. They took panoramic X-rays, other x-rays and did a complete check up. They were very thorough. Dr. Harre discussed the treatment plan, said that our dentist was correct in what he had said would need to be done (the palatal expander) and that Casey would also need to have 1 baby tooth pulled since a permanent tooth that was trying to come in was having a hard time (it was coming in sideways towards his front teeth-and fluid had collected around it and would need to be "curetted".) Casey liked her right off the bat, as did I. She's the type of Dr, that makes you feel comfortable includes you in everything. Which made a huge difference. They showed Casey (and I) exactly how the "treatment plan" would be and the length of it. They showed him molds of teeth and an expander and put it on a set of teeth and showed us how it worked and how we would "turn the key" (I had a difficult time imagining turning a key in his mouth!) Casey had alot of questions, as did I, they were answered and we were given brochures and an "Orthodontic" Folder and we discussed the insurance and payment arrangements (which there were none-lucky us our double insurance!!! YAY!) The appt. lasted a little over an hour. We needed to schedule 3 appointments, 1 wk apart for the next part of his Orthodontic treatment. So, I scheduled for Dec. 29, Jan. 5 and Jan. 12. We were set. I was happy with my decision. Casey was pleased with "his Orthodonist and her "cool" office." Her office is called "Harrewood" You have to actually see it to get the feel for it. Very kid friendly, very comfy, cozy. Hollywood themed. Makes the patients feel like "stars" They have their names on a "billboard" for their appts. The patients sign themselves in on a computer and then go to the "toothbrushing station" (with disposable toothbrushes and floss) there is a main waiting room, a movie theatre (with movie theatre chairs) and another waiting area by the "toothbrush station" Very cool.
Dec. 16, Casey had his appt. to get the baby tooth pulled-he was worried about it, but made it.
On Dec. 29, Caseys appt. was at 8:15 for separators-little blue rubber bands that they place between his back molars to "separate" his teeth to get them ready for the palatal expander. The appt. took 15 minutes. Maybe. He refused to take any ibuprofen, but by noon he was in alot of pain with his teeth spreading. So he finally gave in. Those separators stayed in until the following Monday. Jan. 5, we went in and he had an impression made and was measured for bands, then those old separators came out and a new set went in. We were warned that they may fall out since there was quite a bit of space in there already. They also said that if the separator on the left side fell out, we wouldn't need to come in since there was plenty of room on that side, just if the one on the right fell out. Well, one fell out on Thursday. Guess which one. Yep, the right one. So back up on Friday we went. It took maybe 5 minutes-in and out of the office. Nice. :) So Monday Jan. 12. I try to give Casey some ibuprofen. Nope, he doesn't want it. Stubborn. The day he gets his(RPE) -Rapid Palatal Expander. He keeps telling me "I'm kind of excited". Hm. Wonder how long that will last. We get to the office at 8:40 he signs in, says he brushed at home he doesn't want to brush, goes into the theatre and sits down-I hang the coats up. (I'm nervous) The asst. comes to get Casey and I (weird, I can't for the life of me remember the asst's. name) She takes the separators out and fits the expander on (to make sure it's a good fit-puts a star up on the shelf-to signal for Dr. Harre) Dr. Harre comes over and checks the fit...says "it's perfect!!!" Now for the magic glue. She shows Casey the magic glue on his nail-and explains how it will harden and how the expander will stay in place. The asst. puts the cement on and places the expander in. (Casey is watching a movie overhead-each station has a T.V. with a movie playing and headsets for the pt.) Dr. Harre comes back, makes sure it's secured well, removes the excess glue, rinses and dries his mouth, discusses the care and do's and don'ts with us and lets us know some of the in's and out's of the expander. I need to turn the "key" once a day, it will open the expander a 1/4 mm each turn. (Some pts turn theirs 2 times a day!) He will wear the expander for 6-7 months. But it will only be activated for 6 weeks, the rest of the time-it will basically just be "hanging out" in his mouth so that the roof of his mouth will remain that way. SO...they turn it twice yesterday. She turns it once, then I turn it (so they can see I know how) the 2nd turn made his nose tingle-which they said was normal. They also said it was normal for him to have some cheek pain, a slight headache, problems with his speech, excessive salivation, all problems would be temporary. So after this, we watch a video about palatal expander care, he gets 2 goody bags, a nice new battery operated toothbrush, wax, some floss, toothpaste, a Harre Orthodontics T-shirt to parade around in-lots more literature, some gel for if he gets a sore on his cheeks from the bands. We went to the desk and made an appt. for 2 weeks. Casey went to school. I went in with him, talked to the gals in the office and went home. I got a phone call a couple hours later. He was having some discomfort, could I bring some wax. Sure. I forgot to leave a case there. Oops. He still wouldn't take any ibuprofen. I finally told him that the girls from Harre's office recommended that he take some. :) So...he did. Stinker. Suppertime. Difficult. Very. Last night we had goulash, green beans and breadstick. I told him he could have whatever he wanted. But of course, he wanted that. He couldn't get it down. He makes a funny clearing his mouth noise. Sounds kind of like an airplane taking off. He ended up having some oatmeal. Poor guy. He read to me last night-we read together, he read a page, I read a page. His speech is very distorted with the expander in. I don't like it. In fact...I hate it. People take for granted alot of things, I don't know if people ever think to cherish the sounds of their kids' voice. Cherish it. He still sounds like himself. His speech is just different. Another temporary obstacle-however, at his age a crappy one. Other kids can be cruel. Anyway. He sure was tired when he fell asleep last night. This morning when he woke up he said his mouth felt "alright", he laid down on the couch and opened his mouth while I stuck the "key turner" in and turned the expander once. He said his nose tingled and his cheekbones were achy. I told him that the tingling should go away (that's what they told me) and that he cheeks might ache awhile. Of course, I'm sure they will. It's spreading his jaw apart. However, he needs the room in his mouth...when this is over, he'll get braces. *sigh*. He came home from school today and said he was starving. He took cold lunch but said he didn't have time to eat (it's taking him awhile.) Tonight we're having pancakes! Hopefully he'll do alright with them. They're soft. Maybe some eggs. This will be trial and error. There's so much he cannot have with the palatal expander. If you'd like info on Casey's Orthodontist~you can look her up at http://www.harreorthodontics.com/
Sorry about the pictures, they didn't go where I wanted them to. The separator pictures were supposed to be first and then the other ones. I can't figure this thing out!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I enjoyed reading that detailed description of the spacers, bands, and expander process. I'm getting spacers Tuesday, then the measurement or impressions or something for bands, then the expander on Monday, March 9th. It's the Monday of spring break for me, so hopefully I can talk enough over the break before that my speech impediment won't be so bad when I go back to school. I'm in 8th grade, so now virtually no one has a lisp except for the precious few that also have expanders. There's only one orthodontist in the small town I live in, so everyone pretty much has the same treatment. But most already have their braces, or have them off. My baby teeth didn't fall out at the same time as everyone else's. I ended up having to have five pulled last summer, but it wasn't so bad. Let me know how everything goes with your son! I'm staring a braces blog on my page, which had very little information, but you can go check it out! :)

~Kim~ said...

Good luck on March 9th!!! :) We've learned alot through this process. We've since stopped the key turns. We only turned once a day for 5 weeks and that created enough room. Now the expander is "tied off" so that it won't move. My son will still wear the expander for another 6-7 months. His speech has improved greatly. He told me it's just something that you have to get used to. That and the food you can't eat. :) I need to update the blog with new photos and info. I'll do that this weekend. :)

cheerydisposition said...

Thank you so much for posting your description of you're son's experiance with his expander. I live in China and I am getting an expander on in a couple of weeks. I am wearing the spacers now. This blog has really helped me know what to expect. My doctor doesn't speak very much english so he has a hard time telling me everything that I feel like I need to know! Thanks again!!

hannah